The 35th Shoalhaven King of the Mountain (KOM) is on Tomorrow.
We have spoke to 2 x winner from only 2 attempts 2009 and 2011, Alex Matthews and asked him 5 key tips to running the event.
- 1. Treat the race like a marathon, even though it is only 32km (owing to the course elevation, it feels like a marathon)
- 2. Wear comfortable road shoes (there is only minimal trail and mostly country firetrails and bitumen)
- 3. Don’t overdress owing to the cold start at Cambewarra as you will regret it as you overhead throughout the race
- 4. Don’t turn up to the start line overcooked as your legs will not thank you as you head up Mt Scanzi
- 5. Don’t underestimate Mt Scanzi (a tester of a hill between 20 and 30km) as it is where all the hard training will pay dividends
Sadly Alex won’t be running the KOM tomorrow. I’m sure will make a few people happy. Alex he is a champion on any climb. Good luck and remember to treat this 32km event like a marathon and take Alex’s advise and stay cool. The forecast is for Nowra tomorrow is Partly Cloudy with a low of 5° and a high of 14°. Perfect conditions for running.