Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane

Oxfam TW Brisbane Winning Female Team

Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane


I was asked to join the Offroad Chinwaggers No1 team after one of their teammates broke their ankle whilst on a trail run about 3 weeks before the Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane event on the 19th of June 2014. Judy the Chinwaggers Leader, a local Audlery physiotherapist called me up after chatting to my mate Trail Running Mandy-Lee Noble suggested that I joined one of her teams.

I hopped on a team with local running legend Hubertein Whichers (AKA Hube), Merrill Fletcher and Tia Jones. Hubertein had not run further than the 45km 6 Foot Track in 2011, Tia had run a 100km on the road and just arrived back from Comrades Marathon 90k gruelling road race only 3 weeks before and Merrill had race Kokoda 96k Trail about 4 years ago and the road 500k relay, plus is a bit of a cross country gun. This in a way was a team of 50% experience and 50% all heart and guts. Hube was a champion in her own right, yet she was coming back from a stress fracture and a shin injury. She’d only managed 37k in the training lead up to Oxfam TW Brisbane but I knew she would be more than capable of running the 100k with no problems at all. This is Hubertein, she is a special lady, one in a million and I had absolute faith in her ability. Yet there was some doubt amongst the team members. Would Tia be too fatigued after the tough Comrades Marathon 90km event in South Africa? Merrill was a bit of a dark horse, we never quite know what this lady is capable of. All I’ve been told about Merrill is that she is the most loyal team mate one could have on their team and she will turn herself inside and do anything for the good of the team. She’s been involved in a 500k Relay Road team and I’ve only heard good things about her character. So with this group of accomplished runners I was keen to just see what we could do. It was going to be a fun and interesting ride no matter what. How will the team gel together in the day?


I woke up at 3:30 am and was picked up at 4am to be driven in the pouring rain to the Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane registration at Bellbird Grove. We were then to hop on a 45 minute bus ride to the start of the event at Mt Glorious. Never at an Oxfam TW before had I known so many people on the start line. This years Brisbane Oxfam TW groups of runners were particularly friendly, welcoming and encouraging. I love being part of the Brisbane Running Scene. The weather is warm, the climbs are big and Brisbane has an awesome trail running community. Brisbane is like a big country town. No BS,  just nice friendly runners.


Jodie had her 3 Blokes, Mandy-Lee had her Bellbirds, Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane 2013 winners The Redman, a few Dads from The Gap State School were all there saying hello and wishing everyone good luck. It was going be great day for Female Ultra Trail runners too. The Offroad Chinwaggers had 2 teams, both with strong females who were attempting their first 100km and veterans coming back for more.


The rain stopped at the start line at of Mt Glorious Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane. The mist remained and shielded the D’Anglier National Park form the first rays of sunlight. After a few pees Hube, Merrill, Tia and I lined up on the start line. We hung off the first line at the start as Merrill wanted to hang back a bit. The count down 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 and with a big cheer we were all off and running, down the road, turning right and into the palm lined fire trail in the D’aguilar National Park. We let Jodie and her Blokes go on and enjoyed the ride down the fire trail for about 8ks together until we were putting on the breaks too much trying not to pass Jodie and her Blokes. As a group we past them so we could just concentrate on our own team. We had to run to our own strengths and they can catch us on the climb if they wished.

“They are a mixed team, lets not even think we are racing them, we are running to the best of our own ability and we have to push ahead at our own pace.” I assured Tia who was uncomfortable about leading so soon in the event. “They can catch up on the climb. We are just out on a Saturday run, running at our own pace. They are invisible to us. That team does not matter. Our team is all I care about and how we are running. They are slowing us down by us trying to stay behind them. We needed to pass them”.

I wanted to take the pressure off Tia. Yes it is true as a team we would love the win, but a category win was still a win. I would be pleased with that. I also knew that Mandy-Lee Noble and her Bellbirds would be hunting us down if we did not make the most of our down hill speed. We needed to pass Jodie and her Blokes to reinforce our position.

So with Jodie and Her Blokes past and out of sight out of mind we just concentrated on our own team and how we were feeling. We cruised down to the bottom of the gorge, across the creek, through the private property and snaked our way up the ridge line, under the power lines, admiring the view and enjoying each others company. I could tell Tia was having a few problems, I just was not sure what was wrong with her. She assured me prior to the event that her hydration and nutrition program was sound. Maybe she was just at her limit. She was showing signs of breathing difficulties. I realised that she was having an asthma attack. She was having problems getting air in and out of her lungs. She did not have a puffer on her, so I leant her mine. After about 10 minutes, I let her have 2 more puffs and by then we were at the top of the hill, through the National Park Gates and running into the check point with the Blokes and Jodie soon coming in behind us.

We quickly checked in and out and kept running. We did not need to fill up with any water. We chose to carry extra from the start. As a team we hit the descent and enjoyed the ride. Again I noticed that Tia was having problems breathing. The recent back burn meant that there was smoke in the area. Smoke is a trigger for me and it seemed to be a trigger for her too. We covered our faces with the Inov-8 Wrag. I tried some Simbacort and felt instant relief in my lungs and suggested that Tia did it too as she was now wheezing. About 5 minutes later she felt relief in there lungs and I suggested that in 4 hours she was to take it again. She has exercise induced asthma after her polluted Comrades Marathon and her lungs still had not recovered yet. When you have asthma like this you are fine in every day life, it’s when you have to dig deep, climbing up hills that’s when you can hear it. She did complain that she had a chest infection after Comrades Marathon, again another sign of Asthma. I was happy I could help her out on the run. (In the weeks following Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane Tia was tested by her doctor and was to be confirmed much worse than I thought. She was 10% depleted just normally. I hate to think how much further she was depleted while exercising during Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane. I was so bloody happy I was there with my asthma drugs to help her out. It could have been really serious if she did not get ventolin and Simbacort. 400 People Die every year in Australia alone from undiagnosed asthma check out the Asthma Foundation for more info).

“Maybe Comrades was too soon to this event?” Tia suggested.

“No ways man your stronger than that. This is my 4th Ultra, 100km in 4 Months (Tarawera Ultra was shortened to 72ks and UTMF was 169ks), it is possible and you are doing it”. I just was not going to let her talk down on herself. I really believe that racing is the best training. The more you are able to race the better you can become.

We got to Taylor’s Break and I looked at Tia’s face and she really did not seem happy about the gruelling climb ahead of her. I decided to take her pack off her and carry it up there climb. She initially refused, I did not take no for an answer. I’d trained and raced with extra weight on my back for all my Ultra’s. The mandatory gear list for Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane was nothing compared to Ultra Trail Mt Fuji UTMF or Mt Blanc UTMB so when it was needed for me to take on a team mates pack I was ready and strong enough to do so.

I punched out a tempo with a high cadence and marched up the climb in the lead, not wanting to slow my steps in fear that I’d fall backwards. This climb was relentless, steep and slippery. At the top of Taylors Break we re-grouped and moved together as a team, checking up on each other, monitoring hydration, fuelling, breathing, cadence, posture, technique. At the every top of the climb Jodie and her Blokes caught us again just before the check point. This finial ascent was slippery, clay and my Inov-8 TRI-EXTREME road shoes were no use on this surface, so I had to get traction on the leaf litter and sticks on the side of the track. At that point it was inov-8 X-Talon Country. Only after 50m the trail descended and we were all rolling into the 2nd Check Point together and just ahead of Jodie and her Blokes

I quickly filled Tia’s Pack with enough water until Lake Manchester and in doing so forgot to re-fill my own pack. I was worried about Tia. I kept her moving through the Check Point after Checking in and out and raced ahead, keeping Tia’s rhythm going, knowing that she is a road runner and she can keep her cadence punching out strong and fast, so I made the most of this strength and let her lead. She is fast and consistent and I needed her to just keep punching on.

Soon enough Merrill and Hube caught us on the descent and in the fog, we lost Jodie and Her Blokes who were still behind us. After about 10 minutes more running, when we had established a gap between us and the pursuing team. The trail started to descend rapidly, so I asked Tia to carry her own pack. My left hip was starting to hurt. Tia, should be able to keep the pace on the descent with the team, and she was looking like she had recovered too.  I also asked Hube for panadol as I forgot to pack my own, I had two imodims also. My guts were starting to hurt a little bit. I took two panadol and re-grouped a bit. I could feel something weird going on in my stomach. A little lump rubbing against my shorts elastic. ( I later found out after a scan it was an inflamed facia at the end of my rectus abdominius and I probably should get stitched back up after a separation of my rectus abdominius. I have an 18cm split and 2.8cm in width at it’s widest point. Ahhhhhh yet another side effect of having children. Another operation I’m meant to have.) I’d had a hernia before so I was a bit concerned but as long as it was not slowing me down I decided then this new injury was not an issue to me.

We were flying now, I was able to stretch my legs and roll down the “40 Minute” Hill that is nicked named by the girls. We hit the bottom of the descent and I discovered I’d run out of water. Tia was looking really overheated and she too had run out of water, Hube still had a few mouthful’s left on her so she leant me some of hers. Merrill just seemed to be chugging along.

“Come on guys we need to check to the check point, it’s only 3 ks away we need water, and re-group.” I urged the team. I’d just spotted Lake Manchester and I could taste that checkpoint and it’s fresh water that I desperately needed.

Oxfam TW Brisbane
Offroad Chinwaggers winning female team leading Oxfam TW Brisbane into Lake Manchester

Hube always seemed to be on task so I did not have to worry about her. Tia, was looking extremely red in the face. This was sparking alarm bells in me. She was sweating uncontrollably. This means the wrong balance of Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium  and Potassium was running through her system.

“What electrolytes are you on?” I asked her.

I checked her electrolytes that she had had. It was not Hammer products. I won’t mention products .What ever she was taking, gels and hydration fluid was not fulfilling all of its promises. The sports drink was not providing enough electrolytes for her or not the correct balance. She only consumed what the product said to consume and it was not enough. We’d run out of water so I could not give her Endurolyte’s. We had to make it into the check point and re-group, re-stock and work out a better Hydration and Nutrition Plan for Tia. She always complained of Low Blood Pressure. This can also be because of the wrong electrolyte and energy mix? Our team had a meeting on Hydration and Nutrition pre-race but without me witnessing how their body reacts to race conditions and their nutrition plan it’s hard for me to say. One particular product everyone seemed to be using up in Brisbane at this time, yet it was demonstrating to be crap. And leading to into becoming dangerous. All I can say is it is best to keep your Energy, Hydration and Protein Needs Separate and be weary of any product that promises that it is the only product you need for an Ultra Trail Event. Look for complete electrolyte balance with the correct balance of your electrolytes and not too much sodium. Your gels MUST have amino acids in them. Look for “L-something” or words finishing in “ine”. You also need a protein source too. None of the energy needs should lead to spikes in glucose levels in your blood. Your muscles start to break down after 3 hours of exercise, so they need some help too.

With this in mind I wanted to keep the tempo punching through and lead the team up and over the 7 Dwarfs, trying not to lose any momentum. We had to get Tia water and the right nutrition plan.

We ran into Lake Manchester in a bit of disarray, quickly checked in and checked out and headed to our support crew.

Oxfam TW Brisbane
Deciding on the nutrition and hydration plan of her team mate in Oxfam TW Brisbane

Tia just headed for the Coke, this is fine as long as it is not more than 250ml. Any more than that can make you feel sick and crash badly about 40 minutes after consuming the brown syrup. I grabbed my check point baggy, checked it, threw out my rubbish, and asked for more Hammer Endurolytes. I knew Merrill was not taking them either, so I anticipated that she was going to start taking them soon enough. Tia was in desperate need of them. I had her take 2 then and there on the spot. Filled my bag with about 30 extra Hammer Endurolyte Caps for the team. Had another look at Tia and just knew I had to nurse her back. She was in pretty bad shape. A mate of mine at the check point said that if he could beat on Tia NOT finishing a $1000 dollars he could have done it there and then on the spot. Tia was in such bad shape. Now she was following my nutrition plan. Her plan was not working for her. She was on my team and it was my job to get her to the end strong, safe and well.

Shona Stephenson
Shona Stephenson and Hubertein Whichers running out of Lake Manchester at Oxfam TW Brisbane

We ran across the field, giving chase to Merrill, who had already past through the check point and then as a team got totally lost. Whilst trying to find the track Hube and I had a bit of a team meeting out the back. We were both worried about Tia and concerned that she may not make it to the end. We also could not find the track,  the arrows were nowhere to be seen. Merrill and Hube with their local knowledge lead us to the road and then onto the side path and after spotting a few markers felt assured of our course, before coming to another track junction where the signs were confusing, and deciding that we should not run on the private property, and soon enough we found a Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane marker.

The conditions were getting hotter it was to be 24 degrees in winter in Queensland and we were in the dry, hot, valley slowly climbing up to Scrub Road along a fire trail. We spotted a creek crossing and decided to get Tia wet to help with her core temperature and in doing so.

Poor Tia slipped and fell, totally cramped up and spasmed her calf. Far out man the poor thing. As a team we all got her out of the creek, supporting her weight on our shoulders. I looked at her. She was dripping with sweat. She was sweating way too much. Too much sweat, this is not normal. Again a sign of too much sodium. Maybe too much glucose? Like a diabetic reaction after the coke? Who knows. What ever she was using was not right.  I gave her 4 Endurolyte’s and said have these now. “It’s time to bring you back” I said. “Don’t worry I’ve seen this all before”. I assured Tia and the Team. “I’ve saved many a bloke at The North Face 100 by giving them Hammer Electrolytes and pacing them to the end. You’ll be okay”. I said hoping I could get up up and running again not knowing if this was possible. She was bonking badly.

We walked for a bit and let her recover but she was good to go again soon enough. After about 15 min I gave her one of my Hammer Gels too, knowing that not the right glucose and amino acid balance can also cause muscle spasms also. Her store bought gels were too spiky and leaving her with a massive crash. They were also providing nothing for her muscles again I can’t stress how important Amino Acids are for Ultra Racing.

So with little to no hope of Tia being able to pull back from server muscle spasms, over heating, asthma attack and fatigue, Tia like to tough South African that she is recovered. It was bloody amazing to watch. About 30-45 minutes later Tia was like a new woman. No sweat, chatting to me and a buoyed with a new focus. It was bloody fantastic. If I was not there with her I would not have believed it was possible to really bring someone back so fast from spasm’s, cramps, bonk to being able to run and walk fast up to Scrub Road. This was just beautiful.
I kept pace with Tia, checking up on her all the time. She was a tough bloody lady and I was so proud of her. She listened to me and it paid off. I was so happy. Our team was becoming strong again.

We continued up Creek Road with Tia powering on with her amazing ultra marathon runner leg speed now in full force and I started to get worried about Merrill. We hit the steep climb and Merrill kept disappearing off the back behind the group. I sent Tia on, not wanting her to slow down she was on fire now, I kept Hube moving too and I dropped back to check up on Merrill. I know she was not eating and drinking enough. I also know she was not taking on any electrolytes. She was starting to BONK and BONK badly.

I tried to get her to take some of my gels, enduroyltes but she’d have nothing of it. She eyes had become sunken in, rimmed with dark circles. She could only manage walking about 10 or 20 steps before she’d have to stop, and collapse on folded over on herself. Far out Merrill. CRASH and BURN. A Total BONK!

We just got Tia moving now it was Merrill’s turn. But she refused and advise or help I had on offer for her. It was incredibly frustrating. She was not just being stubborn she was dancing with death here. She was in real risk of Kidney Failure, Heart Failure and Muscle Melt Down. She was bonking hard. We don’t play games out here. Not look after yourself  can mean the difference between life and death and I was fed up with her refusal of my help.

After a few sturdy words from me I threw my hands up in the air, I’d had enough and decided to pace Tia up the hill. I then stopped and turned around and decided to get Merrill’s water bottle off her and break up the Hammer Endurolyte’s caps and spike her water bottle and then at the check point fill it with water so she will at least she will be hydrated and prevent Kidney and Heart Failure. Hydration will help prevent overheating so help prevent muscle melt down. After I get her hydrated I can work on her energy levels.

Tia and I ran in the the check point feeling fresh. We’d really had to slow down as Merrill could barely walk up the climb. I’ve never seen such a bad bonk. Probably only me on the side of a mountain in France on Ice Trail Tarenese where I could not make it past 50km in a 65km event. I BONKED hard on the side of a mountain at 2900m elevation.

I filled up her water bottle and tried to disguise the 4 Endurolyte’s in the fluid. It was a whitish fluid now. I just hoped she would drink her electrolyte spiked drink. After some time Hube and Merrill made it to the Scrub Road Check Point. Merrill grabbed hold of the water bottle I’d prepared for her and tipped it out. She wanted water to pour over her head. She can not survive on just water, yet she wanted fresh clean water to cool herself down. She grabbed some bread and some lollies and ate them and on the way out of the check point we were caught by Jodie and her Blokes heading up the climb. Now I was pissed. This was costing us places now. I did not want to have to walk for the next 40km to make it to the finish line. Merrill was a way better runner than this. Our team was better than this.

We headed out the the check point barely in first place, spotting Mandy-Lees Bellbirds heading up to the check point too. Okay now I’m more annoyed. We are in danger now. This better not cost us two places. Hube who was playing good cop with Merrill started to have firm words with Merrill now and at last Merrill realised that we were going to lose positions and her competitive streak took over. “Everyone Bonks or feels shit and some time”. She said to me.

“Hmmmmmmmm not like this. This type of bonking is not normal. Your a better runner than this. Come on, lets try and pull this back.” I encouraged.

“Okay put the electrolytes in my water bottle. I hate swallowing caps”. Merrill finally accepted her fate and decided to take on electrolytes.

“Yay! Now I have something to work with.” I happily replied. “Your too good a runner to be walking at this stage. Come on Merrill your a machine. Your a better runner than me. I can just eat and drink more than you, thats the only reason why I feel better than you at this moment. In 15 minutes I want you eating just a little mouthful”.

We took it slow. Walking up the hills and slight rises and running the flats and the downs. Merrill’s legs were fried from lack of hydration, amino acids and glucose. We had to take it slow, let her become hydrated again then start putting the energy in and get this girl up and running again.

We were passed by Jodie and her Blokes and we wished them the best of luck and said we were just working through a tough patch at this stage.

After about 15 minutes Merrill had a cookie, which bloated her. Wheat products are never good on the run. The gut is just too sensitive. I then suggested that she try my food from then on. She started going through her electrolytes and her sweat disappeared and her was talking again. She was coming back. She tried a Hammer Gel but it was too sweat for her so I gave her a sports lollie and it seemed to do the trick. Merrill was recovering. We were getting Merrill back.

We rolled along the fire trail, down to the Creek and everyone seemed to need to pee. Yay! We were all hydrated. We powered up the climb , crossed the track then hit a steep descending section of the trail which I flew down with ease but my team had a few problems.
I decided to stand at the edge of the track with my arms spread out wide providing a barrier for the edge of the track, giving the girls something to aim for and to provide protection from a fall if they did end up going arse over tits.

With a few of these rolling descents out of the way we crossed Mt Nebo Road, rolled down the track and onto the Bellbird Grove Road. We looked like we’d recovered. Merrill was talking to the team again, Tia was look fresh and Hube I just did not have to worry about Hube. Hube is a natural, born to run, made for this kind of running and racing.

We rolled into Bellbird Grove really happy, fresh and recovered. The team was again powering on and strong and there was only 24ks to go. We ran into the check point just as Jodie and Her Blokes were leaving.

Oxfam TW Brisbane Bellbrid
Oxfam TW Brisbane Bellbird Grove Check Point with the winning female team

Wow! We recovered really well. I was so pleased with how we were traveling now as a team all on the same page and looking after each other.

We quickly swapped our bags over at the check point and then checked in and out. I picked up extra gels, sports lollies and Endurolyte’s. I filled up an extra water bottle with Endurolyte caps dissolved in the fluid for Merrill too and carried it for her to have ready when she needed it. I also had a few Hydrolyte’s Icy Pols put on our Ay-Ups Head Torches, gave by two beautiful daughters a big kiss who had travelled to the check point to cheer me on and then got the hell out of there. I carried Tia’s pack up the climb out of Bellbrid Grove and after about 1km of climbing we spotted Mandy-Lee and her Bellbirds coming into the check point. Yay! We’d made up time on Mandy-Lee’s Team on that section even with all of our dramas. I was super stoked. We managed to get it together and start to really recover.

We walked and ran up to the top of the Ridge, turned left down the track, crossed the road and started the descent into Enoggera Reservoir. Again I had to top and help the girls on the sharp, rocky narrow descent, standing at a possible fall zone, hoping to catch them if needed. Their quads were smashed and they were in pain, meaning that their legs just were not functioning properly.

We past over the rolling trail and glided into the grassy area of Enoggera Reservoir. I looked at everyone and made everyone eat. We only had 20ks to go, but fatigue was setting in. For the first time I looked at Hube and noticed she was loosing it a bit. Just her focus was not there. She just needed a gel. She is such a trooper, racing her first 100km and she had been so strong all day. I really did not have to worry about her until now. Even now she was still flying along the trail, totally composed and strong, she just needed to eat some glucose. After everyone consuming gels, sports lollies and enduroyltes we turned on our Ay-Ups Head Torches and cruised along the 4WD track. I kept Tia pushing hard at the front and Hubertein paced Merrill who was still suffering a bit.

Before long we climbed the up the steep fire trail and popped out into the streets of The Gap. Yay! Never before had I run a race so close to my house. I was loving knowing the tracks, feeling like I was coming home. I have really embraced my new community up here. We rolled down the road, crossed onto the footpath, through the nature reserve, crossed the bridge and jumped on the single trail, rock hopping, desperately trying not to twist an ankle in the dark as we ran into the final check point of the day.

My Hubby and my two daughters and now my Dog ” Bubble” the infamous Black Kelpie of The Gap had all come to cheer the team on again at the check point. Only 11ks to go I could taste the champagne I will have at the finish line. I desperately wanted to get home in time to watch the Sydney Swans play on TV that night too.

We quickly swapped over our gear, I grabbed extra Gels, Sports Lollies and an extra water Bottle of Enduralytes caps dissolved in it for Merrill and headed out onto the single track again. We crossed Payne Rd with cars beeping us showing their support turned left up Moggill Rd to hear more cheers from locals who had come out to cheer on the runners though the night and started the climb up the ridiculously steep Moggill Rd. Tia was having a few problems breathing and looked like she was at the end of her limits again.  I took her bag again for her carrying up to the top of the climb. We then rolled over the hill, down the fire trail and out onto the road. I looked at Tia’s running belt and asked her how much water she was carrying.

“600ml on my belt”. She said

“How much is in this pack?” I enquired

“1.5L”. She replied.

“Tia that’s over 2L of water that will get you 4 hours of running. We only have about 6ks to go. I’m tipping out all the water in the bladder, there is even water at The Gap Creek Reserve you can fill up there if you like”.

Pet hate of mine is carrying extra fluid for people who don’t calculate out their water intake between sections. I wonder if Tia had been carrying to much fluid for the entire day? Maybe that is another reason why she suffered? Who knows? But is can make the difference between feeling light and fresh and feeling flat. It just showed a bit of inexperience, it was her first 100km Trail Run and is so much different from racing a Road Ultra. It is a learning experience in every way. I guess Tia will know for next time that 500ml per hour is enough for her when she in on Hammer Endurolyte’s as her electrolyte mix. On her previous mix she sweated way too much and lost way to much fluid in extra unnecessary sweat. With the Endurolyte’s her sweat rate was minimal yet she was totally hydrated, thus needing only 500ml of water per hour. It was amazing to witness.

We cruised through The Gap Creek Reserve, turned right and popped out onto the Road in Chapel Hill. We waved to more residences we ran and walked our way up the climb. Tia again was just like a machine punching out her tempo on the road, Comrades had made this chick so tough. I made Tia eat and sent her on, I then stopped and waited for Hubertein and Merrill gave everyone more food thinking not only of the final 3ks but also making sure they won’t collapse after the event and ensuring they will be able to function when the race finished.

We entered the Chapel Hill Track and ran to the base of the switch backs. Tia had a sniff of the finish line and there was no stopping her. I let her pace us up the hill with Hube behind her and I dropped back to look after Merrill. Merrill was suffering. Her quads were dead, she’d given the event her absolute all and was totally spent. I let her dictate the pace and eventually we made it to the top of Honeyeater Track and to the 100km Mark.

We crossed Sir Samuel Griffith Drive and rolled down the brutal, unforgiving, stone stairs down to the Slaughter Falls Picnic Area. Tia had a shin splint popping up, my shin was hurting in the same place too, Hubertein was hurting and Merrill her legs were stuffed. We all groaned our the way down the final descent, crossed the course way, looped around to the finishing race, joined hands and ran across the finishing line together.

Wow! What an experience! 12 Hours 43 Minutes to complete our first Oxfam Trailwalker Brisbane with 4683 Decent and 4753 ascent!  More then TNF100. I was so pleased! We all pulled through together as a team, managed 2nd Place Overall First all Female Team behind Jodie and her Blokes and in front of Mandy-Lee and her Bellbirds. Our other Offroad Chinwaggers team also finished in a full team of 4 in 4th place. Maning that 4 out of the five Top teams were teams made up of 4 women. It was an awesome day for women’s trail running in Australia.

I was stoked with our team, time and our effort. There is so much room for improvement, and I had such a ball with these girls. I’d run with them all in a team again any day. Bring on 2015!



  1. 56 – Team 456 Jodie’s Beast with Two Backs 12 hrs : 35 mins
    2. 18 – Offroad Chinwaggers 1 12 hrs : 43 mins
    3. 20 – Belle Birds 12 hrs : 58 mins
    4. 19 – Offroad Chinwaggers 2 15 hrs : 22 mins
    5. 9 – Midnight Juggernauts 15 hrs : 38 mins
    6. 45 – Never Give In 16 hrs : 16 mins
    7. 40 – TGSS Dad’s 16 hrs : 58 mins
    8. 95 – Knuckle Draggers 17 hrs : 4 mins
    9. 76 – Rockwalkers 17 hrs : 57 mins
    10. 159 – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 19 hrs : 25 mins
Shona Stephenson Oxfam TW Brisbane
Shona Stephenson congratulates one of her team mates after winning the female category of Oxfam TW Brisbane


Offroad Chinwaggers 1 winning Female team 2nd Place overall

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.